firsts.

Okay, so I need to do this pretty quickly because our incredibly competitive game of Phase 10 went just a little too long and it’s getting pretty late. (pretty late being 10:20…) But also you should know that the reason 10:20 is super late is because I started wanting to go to bed around 5:45.

In the last few days… I have had my first dip in the Indian Ocean, I played my first cord on the guitar (E minor- which I’ve heard is rarely ever actually used, but counts nonetheless) and also had my first experience playing soccer on the beach (which taught me the importance of looking out for rocks).

And most importantly, today was our first clinic.

Today we were finally able to do what we came here to do. It was long awaited and frustrating to get to this point, but it was a great day. I walked out of the house at 8:20 and there were already at least 75 people lined up outside the clinic doors. I took what felt like a million blood pressures, a few baby temps, a lunch break, and then started all over again.

I think my favorite part of the day was the last twenty minutes, after I was done taking pre-doctor vitals and I got to sit in with one of the docs as he diagnosed a couple patients. This also led to another first: hearing my first heart murmur. Reviewing the state of health this particular person was in, this was a sad, less exhilarating first.

The electricity went out, as it tends to do here, so after our long day we didn’t even get showers… and had to make dinner in the dark. But we’re so used to it by now it didn’t faze anyone. I’m not looking forward to the reverse culture shock that I’m sure is waiting for me at home… paved roads, the ability to pet dogs, seatbelts, and cell phones? I’ve only been here a week and I’m quite avidly adjusted to living without all of the above. Here, the only day of the week that you need to know is Sunday, and the timed out events are based on “before dark” or “after dark”, and I’ve grown quite fond of every aspect of it.

It’s a good time to get going, everyone is sleeping and ready to do it all again tomorrow, Peds style! Yup, tomorrow we see the Zulu babies…who could light up even the darkest of days with one smile or the beautiful tunes they sing to praise God ☺.

No comments:

South Africa Stats

  • an average 15 yo South African has a 50% chance of dying from AIDS
  • 30 - 60% of the Kwa-Zulu Nation is HIV Positive
  • 2010 projection of 2.5 million HIV orphans
  • 50,000 new AIDS cases each month

Site Feed - Stay Current

Waiting for the Clinic to Open

Waiting for the Clinic to Open