June 29 Greetings from South Africa

Dear Friends and Family,
One final "Sawubona" from South Africa -- we leave for Durban within the hour.
There are many thoughts running through my head as we prepare to leave -- this is my second home and I always head "home" with very mixed feelings. This has been a great trip. We've seen over 700 patients and we've forged friendships that will be lifelong. This is a great team. I'm grateful to each one.
I always tell each team that the work we do is important, but the people we meet is what we will remember. As we saw patients in the clinics, I wrote down a few names whose stories really touched me -- representative, I think, of the people of eSikhawini and Ingwavuma.
Josta Mpanza -- a 62 year old grandma who cares for 6 orphans -- several of whom are HIV positive.
Bongiwe Dladla -- a 44 year old woman whose husband was shot and killed in 2004 as she watched. She came with headaches -- and in tears -- as she remembered his death.
Hlengiwe (her name means "Redeemed") -- a 14 year old who came with marked weight loss -- her mother is sick with AIDS and her father has died.
Masibonge Hadebe -- a two month old infant who was near death from starvation (her young mother was wrongly mixing her formula) -- we gave her formula and fluids and she returned the next day with her mother -- smiling and happy.
We want to thank you for your partnership with us. These dear folks and many like them were cared for because of your kind and faithful support.
One final friend that I will remember is Elsie Nkosi. Elsie is 70 years old -- she was my translator for many of the clinics. Her husband of 46 years died last December -- she has one 30 year old son who is paraplegic and wheelchair bound (gunshot wound in 1998) and lives with her. Another son and his wife have recently died of AIDS -- and left her to care for their 11 year old son who is on treatment for AIDS. She also cares for 7 other grandchildren. When I asked her how she copes, she said "God has given me courage."
I pray that I, and perhaps you, will remember Mrs.Nkosi, and take courage when we face the challenges that God has placed before us.
God bless you and we'll see you soon.
Sharon for the 2007 Medical Outrech Team.

No comments:

South Africa Stats

  • an average 15 yo South African has a 50% chance of dying from AIDS
  • 30 - 60% of the Kwa-Zulu Nation is HIV Positive
  • 2010 projection of 2.5 million HIV orphans
  • 50,000 new AIDS cases each month

Site Feed - Stay Current

Waiting for the Clinic to Open

Waiting for the Clinic to Open